How common is CBD’s usage, and what is the status of its legality in Europe?
There has been a significant boost in the popularity of CBD. It began as an alternative treatment and has now become a craze across nations. It comes in various forms apart from oils and tinctures such as lattes, makeup, and bath bombs.
How common is CBD’s usage?
The commonality of CBD’s usage can be gauged from the following statistics:
- According to Single Care, almost 33% of American adults have used CBD at least once.
- According to Gallup, about 64% of Americans are aware of CBD and its products.
- Consumer Reports in 2019 stated that CBD is tried by almost 64 million of Americans in the last 24 hours.
CBD’s usage in terms of age
The usage of CBD is concentrated in young people. As Gallup quoted in 2019, Americans with ages of 18 to 29 make use of CBD frequently.
- Approximately 20% of people who lie in the age group of 18-29 utilize CBD
- Almost 16% of adults with ages from 30 to 49 are CBD users
- About 11% of people with ages from 50 to 64 make use of CBD
- Almost 8% of senior citizens age 65 and above utilize CBD
It is important to note that the statistics for adults who have used CBD at least once previously are twice that of adults using CBD for the first time. A survey conducted in 2019 by the Consumer Reports stated the following statistics:
- Approximately 40% of people with ages between 18 and 29 have made use of CBD
- 32% of adults with the age group of 30-44 have used CBD
- Almost 23% of adults with ages between 45 and 59 have made use of CBD
- 15% of senior citizens with ages 60 and above have used CBD
The legality of cannabis or CBD
The legality of CBD varies from country to country for its medical use. Legality determines how cannabis is possessed, distributed, and cultivated. Three United Nations treaties regulate these policies:
- Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs 1961
- Convention on Psychotropic Substances 1971
- The 1988 Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
The legality of CBD in Europe
CBD is legal to possess, use and purchase except in Slovakia. CBD is easily accessible between Norway and Italy. The demand for CBD has grown significantly in Europe.
The laws in Italy about CBD keep on fluctuating. Although the country enjoyed a period of time where obtaining hemp-derived products was legal, recently, the government dismissed the law and hemp, and its products were placed back in the category of illegal products. Many CBD products are still sold in Italy; however, hence the situation is baffling.
Europeans can easily carry cannabis products around in Europe except in Slovakia and Italy.
List of European countries where CBD oil is legal
European countries where CBD oil is legal are the following:
- United Kingdom
- Czech Republic